A heat pump? In Louisiana?
For most of the year North Shore residents are looking for anything but heat, but don’t worry! A heat pump is not solely used for warming your home. Heat pumps, though the name seems to suggest otherwise, can actually provide cool air, as well!
What does a heat pump do?
A heat pump is a system that utilizes a pump to circulate water or refrigerant through a series of pipes running inside and outside your home. The pipes outside are either exposed to the outside air or buried deep within the ground (these are known as geothermal units).
Using this pump system, the unit moves heat from one area to another.
- To heat your home: As the outdoor temperatures drop, the heat pump system extracts heat from the outdoor air and push it into your home.
- To cool your home: When in cooling mode, the unit works in reverse. Heat is extracted from the indoor air and pushed outside.
The North Shore and surrounding areas are perfect locations for these systems as we experience mild to moderate winters. The unit works most efficiently as temperatures approach the freezing mark and will struggle in any temperatures significantly below freezing – which is rarely a problem for southern Louisiana homeowners.
Why Would You Want to Use a Heat Pump?
So now that you know how it works, why would you want to install a heat pump in your home?
- Increased Convenience – Heat pumps require little to no maintenance, making them very easy to operate. Whether you need heating or cooling, the user-friendly setup requires a simple switch of a button to change between settings.
- Increased Efficiency – Heat pumps reduce energy consumption. By adding a heat pump to your home, you can potentially reduce your electricity usage for heating by as much as 30 to 40 percent.
- Improved Air Quality – Heat pumps, unlike other forms of heating and cooling, do not rely on combustion like burning fossil fuels, to operate, eliminating resultant smoke or other byproducts. You can also install air purification filters to further reduce contaminants in the air.
- Added Value – If you plan to sell your house in the future, having a heat pump in your home adds value by reducing the operational costs of the house.
Heat pumps are becoming more common throughout the metro New Orleans area, and with benefits like these, we can see why! They simplify your air conditioning unit management, they operate efficiently in the Louisiana climate, and they offer eco-friendly comfort, and they reduce energy expenses! Click here for more on the heat pumps offered by Berner AC & Heat or simply call today for a free consultation about a new installation!